Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Untitled.

A few weeks ago, somebody asked me why I believed in God, and I honestly couldn't give them an answer. No one had ever asked me that before. I had never had to explain it to anyone, it's just what I believe, what I grew up believing.

I told this person that, and I got the response that it was because there wasn't a reason. It was just because I had grown up blindly believing in something with no basis for it. (This person, by the way, is a self-proclaimed atheist and thinks it's completely stupid to believe in anything without proof.)

After thinking about it for awhile, I realized how true and false that response is.

It's true because there isn't always a reason, but there doesn't have to be. That's faith. You shouldn't need proof or facts to back up what you believe in.

It's also completely and utterly false, because I have every basis to believe in God. Not because I can't think for myself or make my own decisions or just do what my parents do. It's because that's what I do believe and I have no reason not to.

I've come to learn that people let you down. They're not always gonna be there for you or do what they say they're going to do. That's not the case with faith. It will always be there, no matter what. You can't always believe in people, but you can believe in God.

For those people who are always trying to explain everything and the only reason against faith is that there is no proof, well look around. Look at everything and see how amazing and complex life is. Sure, there is insurmountable evidence supporting evolution, but life today happened basically because prehistoric life forms gradually got more complex and sprouted legs and moved to land. Yes, it's because of evolution, that's pretty much exactly how it happened, but why? What caused that? No one can explain it, and that's part of the beauty of faith. Yes, it happened, we don't know why, but it did. Something caused that to happen, and it might as well be because of God.

And for all the people who doubt because of all the bad things in the world, look at all the good things. Look at the good people in the world, the people who are working to make a difference in the lives of others. That's God at work.

"Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. Indeed by faith, our ancestors received approval. By faith we understand that the worlds were prepared by the word of God so that what is seen was made from things that are not visible."
-Hebrews 11:1-3 NRSV

So think for yourself, make your own decisions, but don't think everything needs some concrete evidence or proof to make it real. Accept other's viewpoints and keep an open mind, and never underestimate faith.

5 comments:

  1. Faith in a god, and faith in a religion are two different things. You didn't really specify what exactly you believed, but from the quote you put at the end of the text I can assume you are Christian. There isn't necessarily a problem with believing in god, or a higher being, but problems arise when people follow a religious hierarchy that controls the lives of it's members and attempt to control the lives of other members of society.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I am a Christian, and my experience with religion has been good. Yeah, there's extremists who take everything to far and try to control everybody, but those are just certain cases. Not all Christians are like that, just like not all Muslims are terrorists. Be careful of generalizations like that, because for the most part, they aren't true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to say I love you and am so proud to call you a friend. You are an amazing young woman, Cara - don't let anyone tell you otherwise, and don't ever let their judgments on your beliefs cloud what you know to be true. God loves you and has amazing plans for you, and I'm just glad He has blessed PA and I with the opportunity to watch it all happen. -Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE YOU!! sorry...i was stalking you and found this post on your blog...from about 15 months ago. and i think you answered your the original question "why do you believe in God?" answer: because life is too beautiful and complex to just happen with no direction from a higher being. and YOU are a beautiful person for appreciating the beauty in life and the world. People take that for granted. you wonderful person, you!! love you, roomie.

    ReplyDelete